• If the way I treat you stinks, please tell me so.
  • Topics: language learning & teaching; rhetoric.
  • Environments: non-religious workplaces; church environments.

Monday, January 01, 2007

Rhetoric: with and without words

The English word rhetoric
(stress on the first syllable, silent letter "h")
is borrowed from an ancient Greek word for public speaking, based on one of the verbs that is translated "speak" or "say" in English. The first syllable of that Greek word was similar to the first syllable of another ancient Greek word that is translated "flow," but those two words in fact came from different Greek sound/idea roots.

Ever since humans began speaking, public speakers have always had purposes or goals for speaking: they want to change the contents of the minds of the people in the audience, whether to influence them to do something, entertain them with drama or jokes, give them news, or teach them something.

With the rise of Critical Theory (see the Wikipedia article in English, and read the definition that is not limited to the analysis of literature) in Western universities since World War II, the definition of "rhetoric" has been expanded to mean any and all efforts to influence the feelings, thoughts and will of people by both verbal and nonverbal communication.

I treat Critical Theory (CT), which I understand in only a very limited way, as an occasionally useful tool. I understand that CT is a non-supernatural (materialist) system for viewing all human interactions in terms of the power used by the various parties, and exclusively in those terms; the influence of Nietzsche's thinking is clear in CT.

Jesus of Nazareth has my loyalty, so I do not give CT my ultimate loyalty as many American academics, journalists and publishing-house editors do today. Nevertheless, because CT asks good questions, I find it useful sometimes. One good result of CT, in my opinion, is the expanded definition of the word "rhetoric."

No comments:

Links to my causes

About Me

My photo
Passions: learning & teaching languages; rhetoric. Jobs: non-religious jobs. Church: active. Attitude: I push religious matters mostly on my own kind. You are welcome to push back in comments, whatever your religion is or isn't. Languages spoken: Mandarin Chinese, French, and some Spanish. Languages read: ancient Greek (more than just the New Testament!) and some Biblical Hebrew.